Finally! I don’t know why I haven’t posted a recipe for ‘Banana Ice Cream’ earlier. It might have had something to do with the fact that there are already hundreds of recipes out there. However, I have just created what is probably my favourite banana ice cream combo ever and I really wanted to share it with you guys! If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to ice cream, or a dairy-free one, this is the way to go. If you ever wanted to make a delicious and healthy treat for, let’s say, your more ‘skeptical’ family members or friends, I guarantee that they will love this combo! Most of the time I don’t even see banana ice cream as a ‘treat’, but rather as breakfast or an afternoon snack (depending on the amount of toppings I add).
You’ll need (for one breakfast serving)
- 200g frozen banana
- 50ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp PB2 powder (or regular peanut butter)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Optional: 1 scoop of Sunwarrior protein powder (I used the ‘Regular’ one. Adding protein powder does make the taste a bit more grainy, I don’t mind it as it allows me to reach my daily protein goals, but you might want to try using a little bit less at first)
- Toppings: buckwheat kernels, raw cacao powder and coconut flakes (feel free to add anything else: chia seeds, cacao nibs, chocolate-covered goji berries are another favourite of mine!)
Ideally, you would need to use a powerful high-speed blender for this recipe. If you don’t have one, fear not! If this is the case, just add a little bit more almond milk to make everything go smoother.
- Start off by placing the banana in the blender with all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth!
- Add the 50ml of milk.
- Once everything is blended and forms a firm mixture, you’re done! If your blender has a hard time blending everything together add a tiny bit more almond milk.
- Add toppings and enjoy!