Sweet potatoes and starchy vegetables are a great post-workout snack as they provide us with slow-releasing carbohydrates, which help our bodies refuel. They are also an alternative to the often calorie-dense (Vegan) protein bars I usually have after my workouts, which are often a bit heavy on the stomach.
Now, I can already hear some of you say:
“What? I thought I had to eat tons of protein within 30 minutes after my work out!”.
My quick answer: this is not entirely true. The longer answer: Yes, you do need to consume enough protein when you workout to help with the reconstruction of your muscles. However, this says something about your overall daily protein intake. Your body does not care if you consume protein right after a workout or 4 hours after your workout. Now, let’s get started!
Do not be afraid of the amount of things you need for this recipe, it is extremely easy and you probably have everything in your kitchen already.
For one serving
- 1 small-medium sweet potato
- 3 tbsp of hummus
- Quality sea salt
- Black pepper
- 3-4 basil leaves
- Dried chilli flakes
- Plastic foil
- Kitchen paper
- Wet a sheet of kitchen paper and put it on a plate. Place the sweet potato on the sheet and poke some cuts in it with a knife.
- Wrap the kitchen paper around it and wrap it in some plastic foil.
- Place it in the microwave for about 10-12 minutes.
- After that, take the potato out of the microwave and use a knife to check if it is done. Remove the plastic and kitchen paper.
- Cut it in 4 equal pieces and top with hummus, sea salt, black pepper, chilli flakes and basil. Enjoy!