As a plant-based eater it can be quite difficult to obtain the perfect texture and taste for your treats, without using eggs, dairy, butter or cream. The struggle is real. This is why I will be posting more and more recipes for cookies, cakes, brownies etc. for anyone who wants to can go for healthier, plant-based alternatives to regular treats. Let’s start with these delicious ‘Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies’. They are perfect as a treat on a cosy winter afternoon.
For 12 cookies
- 50g (cold) coconut oil
- 80g maple syrup
- 80g oats
- 100g buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Parchment paper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- In a small bowl make 2 ‘chia eggs’ by combining the chia seeds with 6 tbsp of water. Stir a little and let it become firm for 5-7 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla essence, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, oats and buckwheat flour. Stir everything together well (I used a regular spoon).
- If the ‘chia eggs’ are ready, gently stir the mixture together to get rid of any clumps. You will end up with an egg-like substance.
- Add this to the other ingredients and gently stir it in.
- Grab a baking tray and top it with parchment paper. With your hands, create small balls and flatten them on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- The hardest part will be to let them cool for at least 1 hour. They are ok when they are warm, but they are so much better when they are cold!