I love love love a good pizza. However, every time I eat pizza me feeling tummy ache-full is almost inevitable. This is why the idea of replacing regular pizza dough with a (whole wheat) tortilla wrap sounded genius when I first came across it (on Instagram). If you think about it, what makes us feel (over) full when eating pizza is probably the huge amount of dough we’re consuming! With this version, the ‘dough’ has been replaced by a thin layer on to you will still be able to add on all the ingredients you like and make it as ‘light’ or as ‘non-light’ a pizza you wish. Plus, because the base of the pizza is so thin, you’ll probably be able to make more than 1 flavour, and who wouldn’t want that? More pizzas, more joy. Last but not least, for all of you trying to watch your calorie-intake (NO DIETS, though!) by replacing the base of the pizza by a tortilla you are considerably lowering your calorie and carb-intake.
For 2 tortizza’s
- 2 medium whole wheat tortilla wraps
- 8 tbsp of organic or homemade tomato sauce
- 40g feta cheese
- 1/4 courgette
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pepper and sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place 2 tortillas next to each other on a baking tray.
- Spread each tortilla with 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- Top each tortilla with 20g of feta cheese. Try to spread it out as evenly as possible!
- Cut the courgette in to very thin slices and place the slices on top of the sauce.
- Top the courgette slices with 1/2 teaspoon of olive for each tortizza.
- Add pepper and salt. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
When and how much?
These are great for lunch as well as dinner as they are really quite low in calories. However, if you are planning on having tortizza and some kind of protein such as salmon steak, for example, I suggest just having one of them. If you only want to eat tortizzas as a meal then I suggest having two. Of course, you do have to be careful with your toppings as I am sure you realise that adding 1 ball of mozzarella and Proscuitto is going to increase the calories for this meal!